Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When baking goes bad

It is on days like today that I am glad I still breastfeed Nano. It makes a baby cold just slightly more bearable for everybody. If only I still had some magic potion that would make a toddler cold more bearable. Instead we have had two days of lots of nose blowing and tantrums. Thankfully, there have also been some decent naps, which does makes it all a bit more bearable.

Cold tantrums have unfortunately coincided with our usual beginning of term re-entry issues. There is no denying that the combination of a stay at home parent and a teacher is lovely when it comes to holidays. I know how lucky we are to be able to have so many holidays together and especially a lovely long six weeks in the summer. There is only one drawback. Every six weeks, just as we have fallen into a nice routine it is thrown up in the air by another holiday. Toddlers don't really deal with change well and so at the beginning of each term we all have to adjust again and this takes a some time. So, today has featured lots of hysterical sobbing and in fact as I type I can hear Mckdaddy trying to deal with yet another flare up.

A sensible person would keep things as simple as possible on a day like today, but unfortunately I was not feeling very sensible when trying to decide what Mini Mck and I should bake today. I have been itching to try new things recently. The Great British Bake Off has sparked my interest in baking again and I want to push myself further than sponge cake, brownies and scones. This, together with the Tots100 Fairtrade Big Fairbake challenge had me perusing the chocolate chapter of How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson and I settled on trying Chocolate Macaroons.

You know those blogs you read where the writer has perfect children and cooks perfect cakes? Aren't they lovely? Imagine scrumptious looking Macaroons sandwiched together with Green & Blacks ganache. Imagine it, because what you are actually getting for now is this...


As I said a sensible person would have stuck to lego and colouring books and saved the new baking journey for a time when there were NO children around.

So, to wipe out the memory of this day I am going to immerse myself in watching some people who know what they are doing, create some amazing bakes and get to bed for an early night. My bedtime experiment is going pretty well. I completely agree with my commenter who said, how crazy it is that as grown ups we have to move our phones to stay away from the internet, but I'm afraid we do. I've had a few lapses and have been disappointed to note that I feel it the next day. Maybe one day, when I have left the land of tiny children I will be able to stay up late on a 'school' night and get away with it. Not yet though.

4 comments:

  1. I have lots of baking fails, but be kind to yourself, Septembers are hard for all parents.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.